repost: new word learned ... karoshi
51 is less likely than 39.
so there is an article
that was sent
to me
today
Long Working Hours Can Raise Hypertension Risk By 29%
what's up?!
in late 2006, relocated my angst, business, and social life to NoCal from SoCal ... just a 40-something chick in the 'burbs of the SF bay area who randomly posts about random topics ... the occasional quirky stories of dating (or not) at 40-ish, work-week cubeopolis frivolity, rambling musings on nostalgika, and the occasional introspective moments in life.(thanks for visiting! >p, b)
9 Comments:
I suspect working for the down-keeper and private clients will likely = longer hours, should you be planning your funeral?
I'm thinking the mortician can remove the shoe for the service.
Wow, that's morbid for so early in the morning.
Don't mess up your shredded wheat, stand strong.
fiber one, dude. fiber one.
Even though I laughed out loud, I have no idea what fiber one means. Funny (to me, maybe to the other three regular readers), but unknown why.
Rember on Star Trek Next Gen when somebody would ask Data a question for which the answer didn't exist, he would answer "unknown?" That's why Fiber One is funny, for unkown reasons.
Readers of this blog: Stay out of Stockton CA, it is physically closer to the sun than the rest of the United States.
When will CARB start writing regulations to control emissions from the sun? That seems to be a major source of pollution, why isn't CARB doing anything about that?
mlgybie
billn,
I don't know you, and you're probably a fine person, but a rebuttal is long overdue. If your constant jabs at California air pollution laws by ARB are in jest, I will take them in that spirit. Not laugh with them, mind you, since I don't find them particularly funny, but I will understand the context.
But if they are not in jest, what exactly is your issue with ARB? Would you prefer 2nd & 3rd stage smog alerts to go with your black lungs, which you and millions of others surely would have were it not for air pollution regulations over the past 40 years? Do you enjoy watching children and the elderly suffer from pollution-related asthma or premature death?
No agency is perfect, but I'll pit our (ARB's) accomplishments against any other agency's any day, including EPA and the SCAQMD. You may not like government regulations, but when pollution is out of control, why would you depend solely on market forces to bring back cleaner air? It's the failure of the market that causes pollution in the first place (i.e., it's cheaper to pollute than to control one's pollution).
Shirl, sorry to use your blog in this way, but I felt some clarification on ARB's role was needed.
sacto floyd ... comments are in jest - and i think that if shirlsd lived in TX, billn would figure a way to jib/jab at TCEQ ... or if shirlsd lived in LA, billn would figure a way to jib/jab LDEQ (tho' i'm not sure what that would entail).
(in general, the whole California, CARB, SoCal, NoCal, etc. regulatory deal is viewed as quite the lead in the pack re: enviro regs, and dare i say, pretty stringent and creative ... unlike many other places where - well, not so much.)
Yes, it may have been in jest. But I have to ask why bill's comments are continually directed specifically at ARB and at me personally? Have I done something to offend the great bill n? Has ARB harmed him in any way? Why would ARB want to regulate the sun? Is bill suggesting ARB is comprised of a bunch of morons that would ignore a "cause" of pollution as "obvious" as the sun? Gee, why didn't we think of that? Has bill considered getting a job at ARB to apply his considerable genius to California's air pollution problems? Surely, our problems would be solved in no time at all if he did.
And I was just jesting with that last comment, so no offense was intended.
His last comment and his past comments about ARB and some snide remarks about me personally (e.g., "sacto floyd must have a big brain to be an engineer and a lawyer" yada yada) suggest billn has an issue with me, my work with ARB, or both. For the life of me, I can't figure out why, as I've never written anything about him or anyone else other than you on your blog. I've read most of your blog and could find no other postings by bill that were directed at other posters or their jobs in a personal way.
I let it go until now but figured I had to respond to this last one, if only to find out what bill's issue is. I've said my peace and will let it go at that.
By the way, I'm glad your interview's over and hope you get the offer.
I must apologize, if you were offended. I do not know you, and I would say I like you just fine.
The lawyer bit? I am fully impressed a person can go to engineering college, graduate then have the fortitude to sign up for law school, the take/pass the bar exam. Any one of those things is challenging, for one person to accomplish all three is more than I could ever think of muster.
Why front on CARB? I am libertarian by nature? The big issue for me is the size and scope of government. All government programs, agencies, ideas start out as good. Many have positive attributes. But look at the increasing involvment of government in our lives in the last sixty years, when does it stop?
How do I know government is too big? We are spending money my children won't be able to repay.
Why CARB? It seems to me California decided the federal government's regulations were not enough, so they opted to create more stringent ones.
Sactofloyd, I do respect you, your opinions and environmental/government orientation. The market will not reduce pollution, I understand that. I hope you can my libertarian ideals of less government involvement in my life and in my pocket.
bN
billn,
I fully appreciate your libertarian point of view. My best friend at ARB is an unapologetic libertarian (go figure). So I guess we can agree to disagree about whether ARB is too big for its own britches.
For what it's worth, I do agree environmental regulations should focus more on higher priority areas rather than trying to regulate everything under the sun. But, from a purely selfish point of view, I'd rather eliminate some other huge agency (starts with an "E" and ends with an "A" and is featured in the Simpsons movie) that always seems to be behind the curve.
And we're not even the biggest environmental agency in California. That distinction goes to the Water Board, which has more employees and lawyers than ARB. Considering a person can only hold his breath for 3 minutes, but can go without water for 3 or so days, it seems to me the focus should be more on air. But that's just me.
Anyway, I respect you, too, and just wanted to understand where you were coming from with those comments. So now I know. And knowing is half the battle. Go Joe.
Hey, some of us engineering graduates even can go to business school afterwards. That Cal experience makes us tougher than most...
And, we probably make better decisions than people who didn't show up in Alabama during their National Guard Service, but went to Harvard, thanks to Dad's connections....
I like CA because they ARE TOUGHER than the rest when it comes to the environment. Like Christine Todd Whitman said after 9/11, the air is safe at GROUND ZERO. Yeah, right. Thanks for that one, Bush Administration. Who would have thought you would have been lying???!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home