ReLo'd to BA from SD

in late 2006, relocated my angst, business, and social life to NoCal from SoCal ... just a 40-something chick in the 'burbs of the SF bay area who randomly posts about random topics ... the occasional quirky stories of dating (or not) at 40-ish, work-week cubeopolis frivolity, rambling musings on nostalgika, and the occasional introspective moments in life.(thanks for visiting! >p, b)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

turns out ...

Bookmark and Share

... if one chooses to suspend one's cell phone service simply because one loses (or misplaces) one's phone in the general area of gates c12-c19 in the phoenix airport, the recorded message on one's cell phone goes something like this:
"the number you have dialed has been changed, disconnected or is no longer in service ... (blah-blah-blah)"
so yeah! i'm actually cell-phone-less. next step? filled out form. hoping phone will be turned in. meanwhile ... i'm surviving. really. i am. i really am. words of encouragement?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse. Friend of mine lost her phone but didn't know it for two weeks (very infrequent user). Unfortunately, the finder was a frequent user, and apparently sold the number to international users. She finally realized it was gone, canceled it, then got a bill for $4,800 worth of international calls. I finally had to step in, do some lawyering and negotiating with AT&T over 2 weeks, and got it down to $400 plus change. Still a chunk of money, but she was legally liable for a heckuva lot more.

I also lost my phone two years ago. Guy (without a digital voice disguiser!) calls me up like some kidnapper and says he wants $40 for it. Not wanting to take a chance at being identified, I quickly went behind a shoji screen, making only my silhouette visible and turning the Vocoder to Setting #3 (Darth Vader with asthma).

I'm like, "Dude, I'm not your father. And it only cost $9.99 plus a two-year contract with Verizon. While the service is okay, I still have a year to go on the contract, so I'm sticking with it. Can you hear me now?"

So we haggled, got the price down to $20 (since it had all my contacts on a SIM card), and arranged to meet at the local MickeyD. Unfortunately, there are two McD's on the same street, and Mr. Jeannie U.S. Ransom went to the wrong one! So I had to call him on MY phone (good thing I brought the alcohol wipes) to find out where he was. Finally got there, and he had brought one of his henchmen. As if HE didn't feel safe meeting with a stranger!

After that, I told myself not to get too attached to my phone lest I fall victim to a phonenapper again.

Wed Sep 10, 03:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger shirlnutkin said...

sacto floyd ... thanks for words of encouragement AND for the tale you shared. still bummer about your friend's $400+ bill ('cuz AT&T makes enough money to cover crap like that). (i'll remember you may have some lawyering skills to offer if i need them, in my situation. right?)

and wow(!) on the crack-head that kidnapped your phone! but as usual ... awesome story.

and yes - i totally want my SIM card. UGH!!!!!

p.s. i was down on my hands/knees around gate c19 looking for my phone, as well as squeezing my fingers into the folds and spaces on seat cushions near the c19. i ate french fries afterwords. and ewwww ... i forgot to use purell. ('nuf said).

Wed Sep 10, 06:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger JenM said...

Shirlsd! How could you, I hope you at least wiped you hands on you pants.

Anyway, as long as it cannot be used by some "frequent international user" the addiction will subside in a few days.

Although there was that time I gave up caffeine and "jones'd" for 2 weeks, but that is another story.

Good luck and keep sacto floyd on your side you might need him.

Wed Sep 10, 06:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger JenM said...

Sorry, seems as though I omitted a few R's. maybe I should go back on the caffeine.

Wed Sep 10, 07:05:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(i'll remember you ,may have some lawyering skills to offer if i need them, in my situation. right?)

So is that a question that I may have some lawyering skills in the first place? Or is it that I may offer said skills, assuming I had some, if you need them? I'm feeling vulnerable and fragile...

Wed Sep 10, 06:10:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter